Why Take This Course?
Project diving is a cornerstone of GUE activities and a reason why many decide to pursue scuba diving. GUE cooperates with many scientific research centers globally where archaeologists, biologists, hydrologists, and geologists benefit from the competence of GUE trained divers while conducting underwater research.
GUE’s Scientific Diver Level 1 course prepares divers to act as members of scientific diving teams using proper equipment and techniques, and to understand legal aspects and responsibilities relevant to scientific diving.
Who Is It For?
This course is for anyone who is interested in being able to contribute in an efficient manner to any underwater scientific project such as basic data collecting, surveying, lifting of artifacts, excavating, and sampling.
This course is best taken after the Navigation Primer, as it requires basic competence in navigational skills.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?Course outcomes include, but are not limited to: basic training in search and survey methods, surface and subsurface, locating and marking both objects and sites; basic use of airbags and airlifts to be used in controlled lifts, excavations and sampling; rigging and line work, including a review of basic knots, and the construction and deployment of transacts and search grids; recording techniques; performing the duty of a surface tender for a roped diver; and using appropriate sampling techniques to the scientific discipline being pursued.
Applicants for a GUE Scientific Diver program must:
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age.
- Be physically and mentally fit.
- Be a non-smoker.
- Be able to swim.
- Obtain a physician’s prior written authorization for use of prescription drugs, except for birth control, or for any medical condition that may pose a risk while diving.
- Have passed the GUE Recreational Diver Level 1 course or the GUE Fundamentals course.
- Have a minimum of 75 logged dives beyond autonomous entry-level scuba diver (or equivalent) and 25 logged dives beyond GUE certification.
TAKE THE NEXT STEP
GUE’s Photogrammetry Diver course is designed to introduce divers to the skills and procedures for using underwater photogrammetry to create digital 3D models.