Diver Propulsion Vehicle (DPV) Cave
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE?
The use of diver’s propulsion vehicles (DPV) or scooters has a long tradition in cave diving. DPVs are often used as an important tool to further increase the penetration distance or to carry additional heavy dive equipment into the cave.
Since failure of a DPV in an overhead environment might expose divers to a high level of risk, an in-depth knowledge of gas management and contingency planning is required to use a DPV safely during such dives. GUE cave divers are known worldwide for their successful use of DPV’s during long range exploration cave dives.
Who Is It For?
As an advanced cave diving course, the DPV Cave course is available to experienced GUE Cave 2 divers with prior experience in use of a DPV.
In the DPV Cave class, all scooter-specific skills are practiced to mastery level. Special consideration is paid to awareness, navigation, dive planning and gas management while using multiple DPV’s.
What Will I Learn?Course outcomes include, but are not limited to: reinforced skills from GUE’s DPV 1 course, management of multiple DPVs and all the ramifications of their use, stage cylinders handling, and cave environment-specific applications.
Applicants for a GUE DPV Cave course must:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Be physically and mentally fit.
- Be a non-smoker.
- Be able to swim.
- Obtain a physician’s prior written authorization for use of prescription drugs, except for birth control, or for any medical condition that may pose a risk while diving.
- Have passed GUE’s DPV 1 course or secured a waiver from GUE Headquarters.
- Have passed GUE’s Cave 2 course.
- Have a minimum of 50 Cave 2 dives beyond certification.
- Own a GUE-sanctioned DPV with sufficient burn time for the cave environment.
- For a full list of course prerequisites, click here.
Take the Next Step
Underwater Cave Survey
During the class, team-based survey procedures and dive planning are introduced together with additional tools and specialized equipment.
CCR Diver 1
The course is intended to challenge divers in a comfortable environment that emphasizes the need for learning management, maintenance procedures, and protocols of the closed-circuit rebreather. The course also emphasizes the need for increased physical and mental fitness.